Tuesday, February 8, 2011

In Lak'ech Ala K'in

In lak'ech ala k'in is Mayan for "I am another yourself," meaning "I am you." If information on the web is correct, it was used as a greeting at one time. I recently learned more about this by experiencing it, in one of those surprising ah-ha moments of life.

Everyone has people in their lives that give them joy, hurt or disappointment. 2010 was a year full of joy derived from a very specific, yet surprising, person. Their happiness, success and days of laughter were my own. The new year brought a new and different experience with this person, sadness.

As my friend struggles with sadness, I struggle to find perspective. My heart is exceptionally heavy. I miss my friend's smile, calming voice and belly laughter. I worry for their struggle and plans to overcome their sadness. I am frightened of the very strong in lak'ech ala k'in connection with my friend.

The year's start in darkness is not the end but perhaps the beginning of learning more of this connection. Perhaps I have this connection with others and this one was just the first of many. 2011 should be a very good year if I am willing to be open to those possibilities and greet more people with "in lak'ech ala k'in."

No comments:

Post a Comment