Monday, March 29, 2010

Important Conversations

     Through last week and the weekend, I managed to watch three movies that overwhelmingly surprised me. More indicative of where my mental state resided than the greatness of the movies, individually they didn’t necessarily speak to me, but as a whole they forced an internal dialog I had been avoiding for a very long time.    
     Ghosts of Girlfriends Past was a romantic comedy full of eye candy and the expert line delivery of Matthew McConaughey. As funny as his life long ailment of failure to commit could be, what was not funny was the reason behind it. To say the least, it hit home for me.
     While the boys were out on Saturday at a chess tournament, I unintentionally fell into the movie, An American Quilt. Thinking incorrectly again that this movie was a romantic drama, it opened my eyes to all of my decisions, good and bad, and their consequences.
     Last but not least, what I thought would be yet another romantic comedy, Marley and Me, that would deliver humorous physical comedy with an out of control dog, opened up a wound barely scabbed over. It caught me off guard. The crying jag lasted over an hour.
     I don’t cry about movies. I hardly cry about life. But these movies opened my eyes to pain, consequences and what I really want out of life in an avalanche of emotion unlike I’ve ever experienced. Maybe I was open to it; maybe I was due a good cry.   I'm just glad I finally had that conversation with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment