Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Remedy for a Bad Day: Laugh at Yourself

Everyone has bad days. I had a rare one today. It happens. Being overwhelmed with work didn’t help either so I thought I would go home at the end of the day and crawl into bed. But, something else happened; something that made my day.

I got my iPhone4, my first iPhone, exactly two months ago today. And, like most new iPhone owners, I can’t image what I ever did without it. During this time, I’ve read books on it, my Kindle, my laptop, and on paper (I can go vintage at times). But, I haven’t downloaded any new items to my Kindle since April. I have a serious backlog of material to read. I bought a paperback book in June I haven’t even cracked!

A co-worker brought a book to my attention late in the day called Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers and Transform Your Business by Josh Bernoff and Ted Schadler. For only one week, it’s a free Kindle download. After properly greeting my family when I arrived home, I went straight to my Kindle on my nightstand.

I turned on my Kindle and found where I left off in a book a couple of weeks ago (with a sweet message about how I had read to a particular point in the book on my iPhone app and asking me if I wanted to go to it. Okay, that was cool). I hit the menu button so I could turn on the wireless access (saves battery life to keep it turned off). When the menu came up on the screen, I did what I have learned to do in the last couple of months: I touched the screen. I immediately busted out laughing. I laughed so hard at myself, I cried. It felt so good because the day had been so bad.

Oh, how quickly the iPhone’s touch screen has spoiled me! If you know anything about a Kindle, you know it does not have a touch screen. Thus, you can see the humor of the situation and why my day ended on a better note than I had hoped. Oh, I needed that laugh!

Who knew laughter could release so much anxiety and tension? The Mayo Clinic does and writes online about how laughter can relieve stress. Laughter produces endorphins and neuropeptides, and increases oxygen intake. Good stuff to stock up on for rough days.

I don’t plan to have another bad day any time soon, but if I do, I hope I’ll remember touching the screen on my Kindle and laugh out loud again.

(Thanks to James, Apple and Amazon for bringing this humor together for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment